Our bodies are seriously amazing. Here are 45 incredible facts about the human body. Some of these facts will shock you and some will delight you. Regardless, these things are happening within your body right now.
1. Your belly button has its own microbiome with thousands of important bacteria.
2. In a lifetime, the average person produces about 25,000 quarts of saliva, which is the equivalent of filling two swimming pools.
3. It is impossible to tickle yourself.
4. The nose can remember 50,000 different smells.
5. The gastrointestinal tract is about 30 feet long.
6. Facial hair grows faster than other hair on your body.
7. The human heart can keep beating even outside the body because it has its own electrical impulse.
8. Sleep is critical to health and life. Sleeping less than 7 hours per night is associated with reduced life expectancy.
9. Humans have the same amount of hair as a chimpanzee but most of the hairs are just finer and shorter.
10. Our heartbeats change to mimc music we listen to.
11. To walk a single step requires the use of up to 200 muscles.
12. The average person loses between 60-100 strands of hair per day.
13. Nerve impulses travel to and from the brain at somewhere around 200 miles per hour.
14. The most common blood type in the world is O.
15. The body produces 25 million new cells each second.
16. Teeth are the only part of the human body that cannot repair themselves.
17. Most of the dust that you find around your home is made up of dead skin.
18. A sneeze can exceed 100 mph.
19. Women blink twice as much as men.
20. Human bones are as strong as granite.
21. One out of every 2,000 human infants is born with a tooth.
22. The average person passes gas 14 times per day.
23. Over 90% of all disease in the human body is caused or complicated by stress.
24. Fingernails grow 4 times faster than toenails.
25. About 1 in 10,000 people have their internal organs reversed or mirrored form the normal sides. This is called situs inversus.
26. Human sweat has no odor, rather the bacteria that mixes with sweat is what makes body odor.
27. Human babies are born with 300 bones. Adults have 206 bones because many of those 300 bones we are born with fuse together.
28. If you eat too much, your sense of hearing is temporarily diminished.
29. You spend about 10% of your waking hours with your eyes closed due to blinking.
30. Humans have approximately 0.2 milligrams of gold in their blood.
31. Women have a better sense of smell than men.
32. A full bladder is about the size of a softball.
33. The human brain has a capacity to read up to 1,000 words per minute.
34. The liver has over 500 different functions.
35. People shed approximately 600,000 particles of skin every hour or 40 pounds of skin in their lifetime.
36. All the bacteria in our bodies collectively weighs about 4 pounds.
37. People are approximately 1 centimeter taller in the morning than in the evening.
38. Noise can cause the pupils of the eyes to dilate.
39. Everyone has a unique tongue print, similar to how everyone has unique fingerprints.
40. Crying is a physical relief that allows humans to decrease feelings of anger and sadness.
41. By age 60, most people lose about half of their taste buds.
42. Both lungs are fairly similar in size, however the left lung is smaller than the right lung to make room for the heart.
43. Human ears and noses never stop growing.
44. The human body makes about 1 liter of mucus each day.
45. The average human body has 60,000 miles of blood vessels.