Do you feel stiff or sore? Tired? Less than happy? As we go through the motions of our often sedentary activities, it can be easy to forget that our bodies need tending to. With just a little conscious thought, you can increase your physical well being today.
Incorporate these easy activities into your daily routines to help keep your body healthy:
1. Stand up and stretch.
Whether you’re home watching TV or at work behind your desk, sitting for long periods can really take its toll, especially on your back. To ensure that you stay healthy and flexible:
- Avoid slouching in the chair or couch if you have to sit for long periods.
- Take a 1-minute break every 30 minutes to walk around and stretch your legs and back muscles.
- Support your back. Perhaps you would be more comfortable in different chair. You may also find that a lumbar cushion or back brace would be helpful.
2. Avoid spending hours at the computer.
Your job may require you to work at a computer all day. However, no matter how busy you are, you can take a moment or two every hour to rest your eyes. Here are some suggestions to ease your eyes:
- Use an anti-glare screen to decrease contrast.
- Take frequent breaks and rest your gaze out a window or at far-away object. Relaxing your eyes will help you avoid eyestrain.
- Ensure that you have good lighting; there should be light around your monitor, and even behind it. Avoid using the computer in the dark!
- Minimize the amount of clutter around your monitor. Your eyes have more work to do when there are excess items in your frame of vision.
3. Lift with your legs.
As we go through “the motions” on a daily basis, we often overlook the impact small things can have on our physical health. For example: how we lift. Like most of us, you may forget sometimes that lifting with your back can cause damage. Try to remain conscious of this fact to protect your body.
- Bend at the knees, not at the waist to take the pressure off your sensitive back muscles and prevent unnecessary damage.
- Avoid lifting things that are overly heavy. You might feel like you can manage it but you may be putting excess strain on your muscles.
Sometimes you may get caught up with work and other activities, and forget to eat. Other times we may not forget to eat, but instead we eat unhealthy foods. It is imperative to tune into when you feel hungry and eat the right foods. Eat lots of vegetables, grass-fed meats, wild caught fish, free range game and a little bit of fruit. Avoid GMO’s and go for organic whenever possible.
5. Do nothing and just be.
Take several minutes each day to do absolutely nothing. Clear your mind and allow yourself to simply be. Contemplative practices, like meditation, can really help our health.
6. Get plenty of rest.
To function, two of your bodies’ most primary needs are food and rest. A good night’s sleep will help you be at your best. Rest periods give your systems a chance to regenerate and become ready for the next day’s physical challenges.
- Set your bedtime and try to stick to it.
- Take a break from work if you notice your body is showing signs of weariness.
- Relaxation is another form of rest; a little leisure time can effectively help your body to regain lost energy.
To ensure your lifelong health, start by focusing on a few simple actions like these every day. Now that you know how easy it is to enhance your health, you can start your journey to vibrant health today.